- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) manicotti shells
- 1 lb. ground chuck
- 14 or 28 pcs. string cheese
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 1 jar (26 oz) spaghetti sauce
- 1-1/2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- Brown hamburger and onion. Drain well, add spaghetti sauce.
- Cover bottom of 9 x 13 greased pan with 1/2 of the sauce. (or use 2 8 x 8 glass greased pans.)
- Cook the manicotti shells, Stuff each shell with 1 or 2 pcs. of string cheese, ( 2 pcs. is better)
- Place in pan on top of the sauce. Pour remaining sauce over shells. Cover and Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Uncover pan and sprinkle on the 1-1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake uncovered 5-10 minutes or till cheese melts.
I adjusted the recipe slightly by sauteing mushrooms and onions in the pan with the meat. (It’s my opinion that you can add mushroom to most dishes and it will make the recipe that much better.) As directed in the recipe, I stuffed two pieces of string cheese in each noodle and divided the contents into two pans. Because this was the second of two pans and it had been frozen, I added 10 to 20 minutes to the baking time. Make sure to thaw the dish before baking if you freeze one of them!
I served the Manicotti with Texas toast garlic bread (found in BF’s freezer). I had a feeling this would be one recipe that BF found too cheesy. Much to my amazement, I was totally wrong. BF loved it. And not once did I hear a comment even close to… this dish has so much cheese.