Paired with Buttercream Frosting, these brownies will hit the spot if you’re craving red velvet cake but don’t have a reason or desire to make an entire cake.
- 3/4 c. unsalted butter
- 2 T. corn syrup
- 1/3 c. good quality unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 c. dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 3 tsp. red food coloring
- 1/2 c. flour
- Arrange a shelf in the center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Line an 8x8x2 inch pan with heavy-duty tinfoil. Spray with cooking spray.
- In a heavy-bottom medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Heat until bubbles come up around the edge of the pan. Stir in corn syrup. Remove from heat. Stir in cocoa. Stir in salt, vanilla and sugar. Stir in egg and egg yolks until well blended. Stir in flour and food coloring and blend well.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Place on shelf and bake until brownies start to just pull away from the sides, about 25 minutes. Err on the side of undercooking rather than overcooking.
- Cool in the pan on a cooling rack. When completely cool, invert onto a flat baking sheet, peel off the foil and re-invert onto a cutting board. Cut into two-inch squares. Makes 16.