I resurrected an old recipe for Homemade Taco Seasoning last night and tonight set out to make some healthy ground turkey tacos.
I normally don’t add much into taco meat besides meat and seasoning. Maybe some onion. But tonight I was inspired to add in some veggies. I’m not big on veggies so I need to sneak them in when I can. I contemplated what would go well with ground turkey meat and came up with a few standard veggies you would eat in a fajita: onion and bell peppers.
And thus the fajita-style taco was born. I also picked up plenty of garlic and some fresh cilantro, too.
I ate two of these tacos but could have kept eating. And eating. And eating. Luckily for me I made such a huge recipe I can continue eating. And eating. For days. And days.
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 T. avocado oil
- 1 recipe Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 medium-sized red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium-sized orange bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic
- salt, to taste
- tortillas (I used corn)
- cilantro, for garnish
- sour cream, for eating
- any other favorite taco accouterments such as shredded cheese, salsa, lettuce, tomato, avocado, hot sauce, etc., if your heart so desires
- In an extra-large pan over medium or medium-low heat cook the onions and peppers until softened. I covered the pan to hasten the process.
- Add in garlic and ground turkey and cook the mixture until turkey is no longer pink making sure to break up the turkey into bite-sized pieces.
- Add the taco seasoning and stir to incorporate. You may wish to add a wee bit of water to make a bit of a taco gravy. Taste the meat and add salt if necessary. I did!
- Heat your tortillas. I heated mine in a pan over medium heat so that they got slightly browned on both sides.
- Top your tacos with the sour cream and cilantro or any other garnish you wish. Enjoy immediately.
I love tacos. Earlier this week I made ground turkey tacos that came pre-seasoned. They were good. Decent. Solid. These tacos rock. They crush the preseasoned ground turkey tacos I have been eating all week. These tacos are a bit spicy but the flavor is so good I wouldn’t weigh it down with a lot of taco toppings. To me the sour cream and cilantro were perfect accompaniments to the flavorful meat. I loved the addition of the bell peppers so much that I’m not sure I would want to make taco meat without it ever again!