Frequently Daily my friend Bethany and I share with each other (via text) what we eat. One day she shared with me her breakfast which was essentially a list of foods she had eaten for breakfast and I responded: Did you eat nachos for breakfast?
She did. She ate nachos for breakfast. And as soon as I had formed the concept of breakfast nachos in my mind from that one text exchange, I was wanting to try breakfast nachos for myself. And to my good fortune, I happened to have tortilla chips on hand. Tortilla chips are not a staple in my kitchen so I felt as though the food Gods were smiling down upon me and urging me to make my own breakfast nachos.
So I did. After much toiling as to what type of ingredients I should use: bacon or sausage? Scrambled eggs or fried eggs? Beans or no beans? Sliced avocado or guacamole?
There are so many options for breakfast ingredients and so many options for nacho ingredients that when you put the two together, the options seem endless. So I settled on breakfast sausage (I had some cooked up) and eggs cooked sunny-side-up (I wanted to be able to dip my chips in egg yolk – makes sense, right?).
The sad thing is that when I was eating my breakfast nachos (which were quite good), I kept thinking I had made the wrong decisions. I should have used bacon instead of sausage. I should have went with no beans. I wish I would have scrambled my eggs. And why didn’t I take the time to make guacamole? Oh yeah. Because I was being lazy.
The good news is that breakfast nachos are so easy I can recreate them any time. (Or the next time I have tortilla chips on hand.) And so can you!
- tortilla chips
- crumbled bacon or chopped breakfast sausage or cooked crumbled chorizo
- shredded cheese (cheddar, colby jack, etc.)
- eggs (scrambled, fried or poached)
- beans: black or pinto
- corn kernels
- diced tomato
- diced onion
- diced red pepper
- sliced avocado or guacamole
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On a sheet pan, arrange a layer of tortilla chips. Top with shredded cheese and meat. If using scrambled eggs, add the eggs at this step. If using beans or corn, add at this step.
- Bake until cheese has melted. Remove from oven.
- Top with your desired nacho ingredients such as diced tomato, onion, salsa, guacamole, sour cream, cilantro, etc. Eat immediately.