This sandwich is inspired by a sandwich I used to eat all the time at Alterra at the lake (now, apparently, called Colectivo Coffee). Their version, the Wisco Cheese Sandwich, uses cheddar, provolone, and pepper jack cheese.
- 2 slices of your favorite bread
- 3 or 4 slices of cheese (I used cheddar)
- sliced tomato (fresh from your garden, if you have it!)
- chipotle mayo
- Slather two slices of bread with chipotle mayo (the more the better).
- Melt 2 teaspoons of butter over medium-low heat on griddle or frying pan and place two pieces of bread (non-mayo side down) on butter.
- Cover with 1 1/2 pieces of sliced cheese (or more or less if you prefer). Layer one piece of bread/cheese with sliced tomatoes. Cover and grill until cheese is melted.
- Flip non-tomato side slice over tomato side slice. Remove to plate. Cut, if desired, and serve.
I wasn’t sure how this sandwich was going to turn out because of the experimental chipotle mayo. I told myself if it turned out bad, I was only going to have one bite. The first bite. If it was good, I could eat as much as I wanted.
I ate the entire thing. The only thing that would have made this sandwich better was more cheese, more mayo and sourdough bread.