Dad eats a lot different when he’s at home in Wisconsin versus when he’s visiting me and Sis. Part of the reason is that we tend to eat out more when we’re together than we otherwise do. The other part of the reason is that I cook so much.
I’ve been digging through the hundreds of recipes Grandma Mo sent me looking for something that Dad might be inclined to make when he’s at home. I came up with this one:
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 6 oz. feta crumbles
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh basil
- 1 egg
- 6 oz. baby bella mushrooms; washed, chopped and sautéed in olive oil
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Shape into balls and place cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes until golden brown and cooked thoroughly.
- Serve with Veggie Tomato Sauce and/or over cooked pasta, if desired.
The original recipe is sans mushrooms, the egg and about half the amount of cheese than the recipe I list. However, I believe my version is better. When it comes to cheese, the more the merrier. I’m of the philosophy that there’s no such thing as too much cheese. Not any anything. I mean it.
Additionally the recipe says it makes 12 meatballs. I got 11. So I’ll estimate that this recipe makes 10 to 12 meatballs. I would recommend adding salt and pepper if you’re so inclined though I didn’t add salt or pepper and did not feel as though anything was missing.