- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 yellow squash, grated
- 3 carrots, grated
- 1 acorn squash, peeled and chopped
- 2 T. dried thyme
- 2 T. dried oregano
- 4 28-oz. cans chopped tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 T. crushed red chili flakes
- parmesan cheese to taste
- To prepare sauce heat olive oil in a large pot fit for making soup or large batches of sauce. Add onion and garlic, saute 5 minutes.
- Add all ingredients from bell peppers through seasonings. Cook 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and simmer until butternut squash is tender. (I simmered for approximately an hour.) Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Move to a food processor and process in batches. (You’ll need to transfer to another pot at this point.)
- Add crushed red chili flakes, additional salt and pepper to taste and parmesan cheese, if desired.
This is a nice thick marinara sauce that works well for sneaking in extra servings of vegetables. If your so inclined. Serve over you’re favorite shape of pasta and, if you’re so inclined, with Turkey-Feta Meatballs.