Sis uses recipes similar to this both as a fruit crumble dessert and to top dessert breads (banana, pumpkin, etc.). In my opinion you can add this crumble to almost any dessert quick-bread and it instantly makes it better.
This recipe was clipped from the Wednesday, June 22, 2011 food section of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and sent to me by Grandma Mo, who even though has been busy packing up her home for a move across town, still finds the time to clip recipes for me.
- 1 ½ c. rolled oats
- ½ c. flour
- ½ c. packed light brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- spices such as ground cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger (to taste)
- 5 T. unsalted butter, melted
- water or milk
- nuts (to taste, optional)
- In bowl mix dry ingredients. Stir in melted butter. Add just enough water or milk so that the mix comes together in loose clumps – not too wet. Stir in nuts, if using.
- To use, dot fruit in pan with mixture evenly and bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes or sprinkle on dessert breads such as banana or zucchini before baking as directed in the recipe.