I needed something to use leftover pizza sauce from the Mini Pizza Pockets as well as a pound of hamburger I had sitting in the fridge. That’s how I dreamed up this recipe.
- 1 lb ground hamburger
- 1/2 c. leftover pizza sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices of cheese
- Spinach and Artichoke Dip
- sliced mushrooms,sautéed
- chopped onions, sautéed
- hamburger buns
- In a medium-sized bowl place the meat and pizza sauce. Using your fingers, combine. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the meat mixture and then shape into a ball.
- Place onto a plate pressing to flatten slightly. Using a knife cut the flattened ball in half and then cut the halves in half, too. (Cut into quarters.) Shape the meat into equal-sized patties and set aside.
- Prep your mushrooms, onions, cheese and Spinach and Artichoke Dip (for me this involved sautéing the mushrooms and onions, slicing the cheese and scooping some dip onto a plate.)
- In a large frying pan cook the patties over medium heat. I cooked the patties three minutes per side. I added the cheese with about two minutes left, then covered the frying pan. (They turned out medium-well-ish, which is a bit more well done than I like.)
- Now you’re ready to assemble. Nuke your Spinach and Artichoke Dip for about 60 to 90 seconds.
- Split your hamburger bun and layer as follows: bottom bun, patty, dip, patty, dip, mushrooms and onions, top bun.
Caution: this is one monster-sized burger. I call these pizza burgers, but the pizza flavor is secondary. The Spinach and Artichoke Dip was the overwhelming flavor, which is good, because it’s an amazing flavor.