This is a sickly sweet frosting recipe, modeled after the Better Homes and Gardens Creamy White Frosting recipe. I added salt to cut down on the sweetness, which seemed to balance the flavors.
- 1/2 c. butter, room temperature
- 1/2 c. vegetable shortening
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 vanilla bean (insides)
- 4 c. powder sugar, sifted
- 1 to 2 T. milk
- Beat butter and vegetable shortening on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add salt, vanilla, and insides of vanilla bean. Beat 3 more minutes. Turn mixture to low and gradually add powder sugar. (Add milk after adding two cups of powdered sugar.) Beat at medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Spread immediately on the cooled cupcakes.
This recipe makes about three cups. You should be able to frost two nine-inch layer cakes with this amount.