The first time I used this crust was when my coworker Micah had extra pie dough and gave it to me to use. Use I did in my most amazing Sweet Potato Pie, though this recipe (as published in the L.A. Times) is recommended as a savory pie crust, not as a sweet pie crust.
This layered and flaky croissant-like pie crust is perfect for a pot pie. It’s fun to watch the crust poof as it bakes.
- 1 8-oz container cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 c. (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 c. cream
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 2/3 c. (11 1/2 oz) flour
- In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy, then stir in the cream and salt until combined.
- Stir in the flour, a little at a time, using a fork. Handling as little as possible, shape the dough into a disk. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled and firm, at least one hour, up to overnight.
Total time: 15 minutes, plus chilling time
Servings: Makes enough dough for 1 double-crust (9-inch) pie or 6 individual hand pies