I’ve decided that casseroles must be a midwest thing. As long as I’ve been living on the West coast (four years now) I’ve never once had someone offer me a casserole dish. Though when I was living in Long Beach, Calif., my next-door neighbor did say she’s had my mom’s Cheesy Hash Brown Bake (known to her as Party Potatoes).
This casserole is one of the only ways my mom used to be able to get me to eat broccoli when I was a kid (of 16).
- 1 19 oz. package of frozen broccoli
- 2 10 oz. cans of cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 c. onion, chopped
- 1/4 c. butter
- 3 c. cooked rice
- 1 8 oz. jar Cheez Whiz
- Cook onions in a microwavable bowl (with butter) to soften – about three minutes.
- Steam broccoli according to package directions.
- Mix all ingredients together in a 3-quart casserole dish and bake for 45 minutes at 325 degrees.