A pungent bittersweet chocolate frosting that pairs well with Chocolate Coca-Cola Cake. Or really any cake at all, which is why I dubbed it “Best” Chocolate Frosting.
- 2 c. butter
- 1/2 c. coca-cola (not diet)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 c. cocoa powder, sifted
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 1/4 lb powdered sugar, sifted
- Cream butter in bowl using a mixer until smooth. Add Coca-Cola and vanilla. Mix on low speed until blended. Add cocoa powder and chocolate. Mix until smooth, scraping down the sides.
- Beat in powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time on low speed. Keeping mixer on low, beat until smooth. Best if made one day ahead of when needed. Frost cake and serve.
You can’t taste the coke in this recipe at all, which is good if a person doesn’t like coke (and I don’t).
I’m not sure if the directions “Best if made one day ahead of when needed” refer to the frosting or for the whole ensemble (cake and frosting). I find it hard to imagine a butter cream frosting works best when made the day before – but perhaps?