With almost an entire bottle of Marsala wine staring at me begging me to be used, I concocted this recipe for mashed potatoes.
marsala cream sauce ingredients.
- 2 T. butter
- 1 1/2 c. Marsala wine
- 1/4 c. red table wine (optional)
- 1/2 c. Heavy Cream
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
mashed potato ingredients.
- 2 lb red potatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/2 c. butter, browned
- 1/4 c. freshly shaved parmesan cheese
- Marsala cream sauce (about 3/4 c.)
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
mashed potato directions.
- Place the potatoes in a medium size saucepan and fill with water. Add some salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are fork tender. While potatoes are boiling start making the Marsala Cream Sauce. When potatoes are finished cooking, drain and place back in the saucepan over very low heat.
- Mash potatoes with a potato masher just until smooth. Add the browned butter and cream sauce. Stir to combine and add salt and pepper to taste.
marsala cream sauce directions.
- In a large skillet, heat the butter over high heat. Add the Marsala wine and cook for 15 to 20 minutes allowing the wine to reduce to 1/4 cup.
- Stir in the heavy cream and thyme. Reduce the heat to low and cook the sauce for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.
I can be a lazy cook at times – usually when making mashed potatoes for some reason. I hate cutting up the potatoes. I boil them whole and take them out of the pot of water as they become done (easily fall from a fork when pierced). This time, I didn’t cook the potatoes quite long enough, which made them really hard to mash! So I had to use my stand mixer.
Despite having potatoes that weren’t quite done enough to mash really well, I really liked the flavor of this dish. It’s a different take on traditional mashed potatoes but something you should try if you enjoy dishes made with Marsala wine.