I once dated a guy whose mom would make eggs in Pato sauce for breakfast on Sundays. It was something I had never had but was a favorite of everyone in his family.
Recently I found a recipe that reminded me a bit of the eggs in Pato Sauce at Lexi’s Clean Kitchen. Lexi’s recipe had ground turkey. So I decided to marry the two recipes and give it my own twist by using (ground turkey) breakfast sausage.
It’s not as easy as eggs in Pato sauce as you have to brown the breakfast sausage first but it kicks up the protein a notch or two and really fills you up. I would be remiss if I didn’t suggest making some toast to sop up the extra sauce after you’ve finished your eggs and sausage. I didn’t make any and felt as though something was missing.
- 1 T. avocado oil
- 1/2 onion, minced
- lb. ground turkey breakfast sausage (or you can use the pork kind)
- 1 7 3/4 oz can Pato Sauce
- 1 7 oz can salsa of choice
- 8 eggs
- Over medium heat, cook onions in oil for 1 to 2 minutes; add turkey and cook until browned. This will take several minutes.
- Add Pato sauce and salsa and mix to combine. Add a little bit of water, if necessary. Let the mixture cook until it’s started bubbling, then crack in eggs and cover skillet. Cook for 7 minutes or until egg whites are opaque. Cook longer if you do not want your egg yolk runny.
- Serve immediately, with your favorite toast to sop up the sauce.