Mmmm. So I discovered that roasted asparagus tastes delicious in salad after I made a salad with asparagus, bacon and blue cheese and then I immediately wanted more of it. So I perused Pinterest to find other salad recipes that included roasted asparagus. I have to tell you, there aren’t a ton.
People, listen up. You have to try roasted asparagus in a salad. Unless you just plain don’t like asparagus, then it wouldn’t work for you. But if you like asparagus and you can tolerate salad you will like the combination. I promise.
I found a recipe that used arugula, asparagus and avocado at Tori Avey. It pleased me for two reasons: 1) the only ingredient I needed to buy was avocado and 2) I love avocado. My adapted recipe is below.
- 1lb asparagus, not the thick stuff, ends snapped off and cut in half lengthwise
- extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 c. pine nuts
- 1 ripe avocado
- 4 c. arugula, washed, rinsed and dried
- balsamic vinaigrette
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place asparagus halves in a ziplock bag with a bit of olive oil and shake to distribute. Place on a baking pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- While the asparagus is cooking, place the pine nuts into a small skillet over medium heat and toast them for a few minutes till they turn golden brown and aromatic. Stir constantly so they do not burn. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cut the avocado into small cubes and sprinkle with salt.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the arugula, roasted asparagus, toasted pine nuts, avocado and dressing to your taste. Toss gently till the ingredients are well mixed and the arugula is evenly moistened by the dressing. You can also place all the ingredients on a plate and drizzle salad dressing on top. Serve immediately.