I know it’s not likely that anyone is going to have 24 ripe bananas sitting around their house – let’s be honest here. But if you did, you have the option of making 42 Texas sized banana muffins. (Or 84 regular sized muffins.) Which is what I made today. Recently I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect banana bread/muffin recipe and I think I’ve found it. I made this recipe once before and it was amazing. Unfortunately when I tried to reproduce it this time, I didn’t have the exact same ingredients.
While making this batch of muffins, I did not have my normal equipment on hand, and had to walk to starbucks and buy an espresso. I was a bit short of 4 tablespoons (I had multiplied the recipe by 6), and obviously there was no cinnamon/nutmeg infusion.
- 4 ripe bananas, smashed
- ⅓ c. melted butter
- ¾ c. sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 T. nutmeg and cinnamon infused espresso
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ½ c. of flour
- 1 c. chopped walnuts or 1 c. your favorite flavor of chips (chocolate, butterscotch, peanut butter) – either optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners or spray with cooking spray.
- With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, espresso and vanilla.
- Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour, mix until it is just incorporated. Fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Pour mixture into a prepared muffin tin. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin. If it comes out clean, it’s done. Cool on a rack.
Makes approximately 12 regular-sized muffins. Recipe adapted from simplyrecipes.com.
Wow 24 bananas
Interesting recipe with the espresso, I wish I could try one
What did you do with all those muffins?
Honestly, they are sooooo good! The espresso makes the recipe – especially when infused with cinnamon and nutmeg. Every week I bake for my old coworkers =) They got used to me baking for them and asked if I would continue to after I lost my job!