When I was in high school one of the perks of being in Student Government was that the lunch ladies often gave us treats to eat during our first period Student Government homeroom. Whenever cheerio bars were brought to the room, we all went crazy. Since high school, I have never again seen a cheerio bar. Until now.
This recipe is my best replication of those bars we enjoyed so much as teenagers:
- 1 ½ c. light corn syrup
- 1 ½ c. sugar
- 1 ½ c. creamy peanut butter
- 9 c. Cheerios (this is approximately 1 small box)
- Place corn syrup and sugar into 3-quart saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves and mixture begins to boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in peanut butter. Mix well.
- Add Cheerios. Stir until well coated.
- Press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Let cool before cutting with a serrated knife into squares and serving