After one of the many visits BF has made to his mom’s house, he came home having had this dish and wanted us to replicate it in our own kitchen. He raved about how good the dish was as he dialed his mom’s phone number to ask for the recipe. I’ll admit I was skeptical. (I’m not big on veggies, so I’m skeptical of any veggie dish!) The first time we tried it I was amazed by how good it was; amazed I liked it so much. This side dish quickly became our main focus as we ate our meal.
- Approximately 1 lb. green beans
- 2 pieces of bacon
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 c. mushrooms, sliced
- two garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 c. slivered almonds
- soy sauce, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Fry two pieces of bacon til crispy. Crumble. Set aside. Reserve bacon grease.
- Cut ends off the beans.
- Blanch in boiling salted water for three minutes.
- Remove beans from water and immediately soak in a container of ice water.
- Saute garlic, onions, and mushrooms in a tiny amount of the reserved bacon grease in a medium saute pan.
- Add slivered almonds. Saute until almonds begin to turn brown.
- Add green beans, soy sauce and salt and pepper.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon
Serves 2 to 4.