After perfecting the peanut butter Rice Krispies treat, I was dying to make another treat — of the caramel variety. (Inspired by my dad who loves caramel — I actually meant to try this recipe while he was visiting.) I scoured the internet for a good recipe for caramel Rice Krispies treats but couldn’t find one that bowled me over. So I improvised and made my own.
I admit that before I made this recipe I had visions of opening up my own Rice Krispies treat store. I thought Rice Krispies treats could sweep the nation like cupcakes did rather recently. However, this dish turned out a bit more lackluster than I would have liked, and my dreams of opening up my own crispy treat store was dashed. C’est la vie.
- 2 packages miniature marshmallows
- 1 c. butter or margarine (I used a mixture)
- 1 12-oz box of Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 14-oz bag caramels
- 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
- Melt marshmallows with butter in a 15 x 10 x 2″ glass Pyrex baking dish over low heat.
- Add condensed milk and caramels, stirring constantly until caramels are completely melted.
- Slowly pour cereal into the dish and pack down. Refrigerate. Cut into bars.
Note: for a more caramel-y flavored treat, use two bags of caramel. You can also probably increase the amount of Rice Krispies used. These turned out extremely gooey and hard to get out of the dish.