The tuna melt is one of my favorite open-faced sandwiches in existence. The best part? So easy to make.
- 2 6-oz. cans of albacore tuna in water
- 2 T. mayonnaise
- 1 small onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 4 thick slices of bread
- 4 slices of your favorite cheese
- Mix chopped onion, tuna, mayonnaise, and salt and pepper in a bowl or Tupperware container.
- Spread four slices of bread with butter or butter spread. (Butter is better!) Spread 1/4 of the tuna mixture on each slice of bread and top with your favorite cheese. (I have used fresh mozzarella and a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella.)
- Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Broil for the last 2 minutes to make the cheese and edges of the bread brown.
I made the tuna mixture in one of those Tupperware containers where you twist the cover on to close it for easy stirring, shaking, and storage. A regular bowl would work fine, too. Also, I used buttermilk bread because I had some in the freezer. It tasted fantastic.