In the latest round of recipes from Grandma Mo, this recipe caught my eye immediately. I love blonde brownies and don’t have a fall-back recipe; so I thought I would try my hand at these.
These brownies have a cake-like texture. The original directions say to cook them for 35 minutes or until the edges are brown and the bars are cracking. If you like your baked goods a bit under done I would suggest testing them at 20 to 25 minutes. I think I baked mine for about 28 minutes and they were brown along the edges and cracking.
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 c. butter, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 c. flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 c. mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together sugar, peanut butter, eggs, butter and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread into ungreased 9×13-inch pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. They are done when they’re cracking and brown along the edges. Cool, cut and serve.
The first time I made these, I felt as though they wouldn’t turn out thick enough for my desires so I decided to make these brownies in an 8×8-inch pan instead. That was a mistake! They turned out as tall as the actual pan (three inches?). No brownie needs to be that thick! Plus I had to tack on an extra 10 minutes and I still wasn’t sure they were done when I finally pulled them out.
It turns out they weren’t. Not in the least. Definitely do not bake these in an 8×8-inch pan! The second time I made them in a 9×13 pan and they turned out fine.
My take on blonde brownies is that they are essentially cookies in a pan. This is what I surmised after making this recipe. The dough from this recipe is a lot stiffer than your traditional brownie mix. I personally believe this recipe could use more peanut butter as there only seems to be a hint of peanut butter taste; however, they taste pretty good when topped with a nice scoop of your favorite flavor ice cream.