This is an absolute staple for summer-time barbecues if you’re from Wisconsin. Because my birthday is smack dab in the middle of summer, oftentimes my birthday party dinner fare included brats, burgers and a hot potato dish. If you’re buying from you’re local grocery store, Johnsonville brats are the best you’ll find.
- 1 lb fresh bratwurst sausages
- one sliced onion (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 12 fluid oz of Milwaukee beer, such as Miller Lite
- 5 hoagie rolls or hotdog buns
- Place bratwurst in a large pot with beer, salt and pepper and onions, if desired. Place pot over medium heat, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat. Cook bratwurst on preheated grill for 10 to 14 minutes, turning occasionally to brown evenly.
- Serve hot off the grill (if desired with onions, sauer kraut, mustard, ketchup etc.) on hoagie rolls or hotdog buns (if you don’t like all that bread).