Ever since debuting my Peanut Butter Cream Pie with my friends over a year ago, I’ve been dying to try the chocolate version, as recommended by my friend Manny – another Foodie.
- 1 Perfect Homemade Pie Crust
- 3 1/2 c. half-and-half
- 8 T. butter, cut into chunks
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. cornstarch
- 9 egg yolks
- 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. bittersweet chocolate chips or pieces
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 c. heavy cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 4 T. sugar
- 1 to 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- ½ c. peanut butter (I prefer creamy)
- Mix cornstarch, sugar, and eggs yolks in a medium-sized bowl with a wire whisk until smooth. Set mixture aside. Heat cream until hot to the touch. Very slowly pour the hot cream in a thin stream into the egg yolk mixture, stirring as you pour. Blend until incorporated.
- Return mixture to the stove top and cook till thickened over medium heat (about two to four minutes). Remove from heat. Add butter and chocolate chips and stir until ingredients are well blended. Add vanilla. Chill.
- Prepare your peanut butter crumble by mixing 1/2 cup peanut butter with 1 to 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar until small crumbs form. (Add more powdered sugar if you’re not getting crumbs.)
- Place 1/3 of the crumbs into the cooled pie shell. Spoon chilled pudding on top of crumbs. Place 1/3 crumbs on top of pudding. Top pudding with two cups of freshly beaten whipped cream.
- To prepare whip cream, beat cream on high using a chilled bowl and chilled beaters. Beat with 4 tablespoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract until soft peaks form. Do not beat too long or the cream will turn into butter.
- Garnish whipped cream with remaining peanut butter crumbs.
A dense, chocolatey, peanut buttery cream pie. The perfect taste and combination. This is an extremely rich, decadent dessert.