I got this recipe from my friend and coworker Cassie who suggested I make it for today’s potluck. Cassie describes it as crack in a crockpot. It has a lot of different flavors that are not easy to identify once melded together.
I would have given this recipe a four apple rating, but it’s a tad sweet for my taste. I’ve never been all that fond of sweet meat. In fact, I added a ton of salt and parmesan cheese to combat the sweet tasting dip. I also added an additional pepper – the end result was a sweet and spicy, creamy beef dip. Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!
- 2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced, optional
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 1 4-oz can mild chile peppers, chopped
- ½ tsp. salt, or to taste
- 16 oz tomato sauce
- ½ c. ketchup
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened and cut in cubes
- ½ c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ tsp. chili powder, mild to medium heat
- In skillet, brown ground beef with onion, and jalapeno pepper, if using. Drain off fat.
- Pour browned meat mixture into crockpot. Add garlic, mild chile peppers, salt, tomato sauce, ketchup, oregano, sugar, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese and chili powder.
- Set crockpot on low for about 2 hours, until cream cheese has melted and is thoroughly blended. Stir, taste, and adjust seasoning if desired.
- Serve directly from the crockpot or move to a chafing dish, with tortilla chips for dipping.
Recipe rating: ½