This recipe is adapted from LeRoy Butler’s recipe for macaroni and cheese, as was sent to me via email by my aunt. Due to large amounts of wine consumed over the course of the day and inattention on my part, I omitted two eggs called for in the original recipe. I realized this after assembling the dish and putting it in the oven.
After realizing my mistake, I decided to decrease the 80-minute bake time as described in the original recipe. I figured the dish didn’t need to bake quite as long without the eggs.
I was worried that my accidental egg omission would make the dish a flop. On the contrary, it’s one of the better mac and cheese dishes I’ve ever made.
- 16 oz package of your favorite noodle
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1/2 c. half and half
- 4 oz mild cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded (reserve half for topping)
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1/2 c. bacon, crumbled
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil noodles according to package directions. Drain the water.
- Mix noodles in a bowl with a stick of butter until the butter is melted. Add cheeses and mix until they begin to melt. Stir in cream.
- Pour into a 9×13-inch baking dish and top with generous amounts of salt and pepper. Add additional sharp cheddar cheese and bacon to the top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.