A savory fried doughnut (made primarily of cornmeal) – that’s how I described these to Garrett when I first bit into them (I’d never had them before). I had no expectation for how these would taste and was pleasantly surprised to discover they were amazing. Leaving the seeds in the jalapeño gives these puppies a pretty good kick.
- 1 c. self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1/2 c. self-rising flour
- 1 T. sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1/2 c. diced red onion
- 1/2 c. chopped orange bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- Vegetable oil
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl, and make a well in center of mixture.
- Combine egg and next 4 ingredients, stirring well; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Pour oil to a depth of 3 inches into a Dutch oven or large saucepan; heat to 375° (medium heat on your stove).
- Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into hot oil, and fry in batches 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels; serve immediately.