A simultaneously savory and sweet frosting with a bit of a grainy texture is mitigated by adding some cream cheese to the mix. Pair it with Salted Caramel Cake for a very rich treat or your favorite chocolate cake recipe. You don’t taste the cream cheese at all!
- 1 c. butter
- 2 c. firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 c. whipping cream
- 1/2 c. vegetable shortening
- 1/2 c. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 T. kosher or sea salt, plus additional for garnish
- 2 tsp. pure double strength vanilla extract
- half and half or milk
- Melt the butter and brown sugar over low heat until dissolved, stirring constantly. Add the whipping cream and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly for about 7 minutes. Do not leave unattended. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
- Pour into a bowl and with an electric mixer beat in vegetable shortening and cream cheese. Whip the heck out of it until creamy.
- Spread on your favorite cake or cupcakes and sprinkle with additional salt to garnish.