I was super stoked to make this recipe after the last time I made cheesy Brussels sprouts. I would definitely make this dish again but would change a few things.
- 1 1/2 lbs. Brussels sprouts
- 1 8-oz. package of cream cheese
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 3/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
- 2 full tsp. of fresh ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Wash Brussels sprouts and remove loose outer leaves. Remove the thick stem off the bottom. Cut in half.
- Microwave cream cheese for about 30 to 60 seconds, or until cream cheese becomes very soft, almost melted. Add mayonnaise, sour cream, parmesan cheese, ground black pepper and onion. Mix well.
- Add Brussels sprouts, combine well until brussels sprouts are even coated with cheese mixture.
- Transfer to baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake covered for the first 30 minutes. Remove foil and gently stir to bring the bottom ingredients to the top, sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese if desired and bake for 20 or 30 more minutes, uncovered or until Brussels sprouts are tender and until the cheese topping begins to form a crust. You can test the doneness of the Brussels sprouts by poking them with a fork to ensure they are cooked to your desired doneness.
- If you would like to add a breadcrumb crust, mix 1 c. fresh breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano Cheese and 1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter or bacon grease (if you’re not worried about having a vegetarian dish) and sprinkle over Brussels sprouts for the last 15 or 20 minutes of baking. My total baking time ended up being 1 hour and 20 minutes – the Brussels sprouts were tender, not at all mushy.
The end product was a bit dry, perhaps because of the sour cream. I thought the cream cheese mixture was a bit too thick when I was mixing it with the Brussels sprouts before baking. I think this dish could be phenomenal if you mixed a bit of heavy cream into the cream cheese mixture. Other than the dry texture of the cream cheese mixture after baking, the dish had a great taste.
Recipe rating: 1/2