I whipped up these cookies quickly on Friday night when Jules came over for our big Friday night out on the town (i.e. Papa Murphy’s pizza followed by tea and hot chocolate at Peet’s Coffee & Tea on 37th and Hawthorne). I mean you always need to have dessert when getting together with one of your girl friends, right? My girl friends and I think so!
- 10 T. butter, room temperature
- 6 T. margarine, room temperature
- 2/3 c. white sugar
- 2/3 c. dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3 to 3 1/2 c. flour
- 1 c. mini M&Ms
- 36 mini Snickers bars
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Add M&Ms. You want your dough to be stiff – not sticky.
- Unwrap mini Snickers bars (you should be able to get 36 cookies out of this recipe so you’ll need about 36 mini Snickers bars) and set aside.
- Wrap cookie dough around each Snickers bar and place on your cookie sheet. You don’t want a lot of extra dough around the Snickers bar because the cookie will just spread during the baking process. The idea is to completely hide the Snickers bar in the middle.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Let stand on cookie sheets two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.
After making the first batch (a dozen cookies) which yielded flat cookies with a lump (the Snickers bar) in the middle, I decided I needed to add additional flour to make the dough more stiff. The above-listed ingredients are the amounts used after a bit of tinkering.