This recipe is adapted from a recipe that my grandma clipped from the Croatian newspaper. No, this is not a traditional Croatian cookie. I’m sure it’s American. At best, Croatian-American. But any cookie that has coconut in it is OK in my book. Plus I liked the name of the cookie. Who doesn’t want a cookie that brings best happiness?
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1 c. margarine (I used Crisco)
- 1 c. vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 1/2 c. flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp. salt (I added this)
- 1 c. sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 c. dried coconut (I added this)
- 1 c. oatmeal
- 1 c. Rice Krispies
- 1 c. chopped nuts (I used macadamia; the recipe calls for pecans)
- 1 c. chocolate chips (I added this)
- Blend sugars, margarine and oil. Add egg and vanilla. Mix well. Add flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Then add coconut, oatmeal Rice Krispies and pecans. Mix well.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls on ungreased cookie sheet. Lightly press flat. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.
Recipe rating: 1/2
This cookie would bring me more happiness if it was less crumbly. The vegetable oil in the recipe makes the cookie crumbly. I knew this ahead of time but was hoping somehow this cookie wouldn’t turn out the normal consistency of a vegetable oil cookie. Other than the annoying crumbly texture, the taste of this cookie is pretty great. I would suggest eating over a plate or you’ll get crumbs everywhere. Or – freeze them and eat them frozen. They’re less crumbly that way. If you’re like me and you want to avoid a crumbly cookie, swap out the vegetable oil for some butter.