I picked this salad recipe for my dad who does his best to eat healthy, (I must be the mail man’s daughter?) and because the other day I realized I have very few salad recipes on my blog (when a coworker asked me to recommend my favorite salad from my blog, which was met with a quizzical look). The first time I made this salad, I opted not to use mango (at $2.50 a pop!) and instead doubled the strawberries. The second time I splurged on some precut mango slices from Trader Joe’s.
- 1 tsp. butter or olive oil
- ½ c. walnuts, chopped
- 1 bag baby spinach washed and patted dry
- 1 mango cut into cubes
- 1 c. sliced strawberries
- ½ c. Balsamic Vinaigrette
- In a small saute pan, melt butter or add olive oil. Add walnuts and saute until fragrant and golden brown. Drain on paper towel.
- In a large bowl combine spinach, mango, strawberries and walnuts.
- Toss with vinaigrette and serve immediately.
The amount of butter called for in the original recipe is obscene considering the amount of walnuts in the recipe (which was originally one-third a cup – I opted to increase). Because I wasn’t really paying attention while the walnuts were supposed to be toasting, I accidentally browned the butter. I can’t say I really noticed a brown butter taste though. I reduced the butter down to one teaspoon the second time I made it.
I’m not a huuuuuge salad fan but every time I go to a steak house (which I did yesterday), I’m inspired to make/eat salad. I’m always a fan of a strawberry and spinach type salads. This recipe is super easy to make and, as my dad states, tastes like you’re doing something good to your body.