Did you know there’s such thing as Creamed Asparagus on Toast? Really. There is. Google it. There are tons of recipes. I discovered the recipe (which seems like an odd combination if you ask me) when I was searching for a recipe for creamed asparagus. In fact even recipes that I thought might actually be strictly involving asparagus and cream (sans toast) ended up having toast involved when I clicked on the links. Hmph!
I was ready to give up and move on to other asparagus recipes (like creamy asparagus soup) when I stumbled upon what has to be the most delicious (and decadent/fatty) asparagus recipe I’ve ever seen at Will Cook for Smiles. I promptly fell in love and knew I needed to try it.
I can’t say enough good things about this dish. I love the flavor of heavy cream, cheese and Italian seasoning. I mean really. Who wouldn’t? The asparagus is just a healthy little additive bonus.
You can prepare this dish as previously described or in individual dishes as you need them. I prefer the individual dishes unless you are eating this all in one sitting. There’s nothing worse to me than reheating asparagus. Especially if you overcook it the first go round. I would divide the portions above by one-fourth and serve in individual chafing dishes, if you have them.
- 1 lb asparagus stalks
- 1 c. heavy whipping cream
- 1 T. Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- ½ c. freshly grated Asiago cheese
- 1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 and lightly grease a 1.5 to 2 quart baking dish or 8×8 pan.
- Wash and dry the asparagus stalks. Snap off the ends. Place asparagus into the baking dish.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together heavy cream, seasoning, salt, pepper, and grated Asiago cheese. Pour over asparagus. Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until desired doneness.