I LOVE breakfast. It’s my favorite meal of the day. I could eat breakfast for every meal if I had the time. I especially love anything bread-y like pancakes, waffles or French toast.
I have been obsessed with making something I call “Greek Yogurt Fluff.” I mix Greek Yogurt with a bit of cool whip and some sugar substitute to get a slightly sweeter version of the protein powerhouse. I’ve primarily been eating the fluff with berries but I got to thinking about other ways I could incorporate it into foods and I thought about it in terms of a dense whipped cream sort of topping. So then I thought … well what would you top with whipped cream and of course pancakes, waffles and French toast came to mind.
I tried out this recipe on one piece of bread as that’s about all I need for a mini-meal. The recipe below should feed two to four people (but could feed one very hungry person!), depending on appetite(s).
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 eggs
- 4 T. lowfat or nonfat milk or nondairy milk
- ½ to 1 T. sugar or sugar substitute
- Greek yogurt
- Cool whip lite or fat free (optional)
- Make your Greek Yogurt Fluff. Combine Greek yogurt, cool whip and sugar or sugar substitute to taste. You can use a general rule of 2:1 (Greek yogurt: cool whip) if you don’t know where to start.
- Over medium heat, heat a frying pan large enough to fit the amount of bread you’re using. Coat the inside of the pan with cooking spray.
- In a shallow dish that is wide enough to fit at least one piece of bread, whisk together the eggs, milk and sugar substitute. A pie plate works well for this step.
- Place bread in the egg mixture and let saturate for about 30 seconds; flip over and repeat. Place saturated bread pieces in the heated frying pan and cook on each side for 1 to 2 minutes a piece or until the bread has browned.
- Top with Greek Yogurt Fluff, cinnamon sugar and berries. Serve immediately.
This lightened up version of French toast with berries and whipped cream tastes fantastically light and refreshing. With the combination of whole wheat bread, Greek yogurt and a sugar substitute, you can enjoy indulging in French toast with all of the satisfaction and none of the guilt.