Anyone who sees this post is probably wondering WTH is Gravel Cake? Valid question.
Gravel Cake is my creation. The cousin to Dirt Cake, made with oreos, is Gravel Cake, made with round Nutter Butters. You could call it Sand Cake, I suppose. Or Beach Cake. Or Sandy Beach Cake. But doesn’t Gravel Cake roll off your tongue so much better than Sand or Beach Cake? And don’t worry. I verified. Gravel can be yellowish in color according to Google images. So Gravel Cake it is.
I got the idea for using Nutter Butters in place of Oreos to make dirt cake this summer when I bought a bunch of round Nutter Butter packages that were on sale at Vons. A bunch = two. I bought two packages. I get very excited at the idea of what seems like such an amazing sale on processed cookies. Also I’m sure I had to buy at least three or four packages of something in order to get that sale price. Which is probably how I ended up with more than one package of Nutter Butters. I’m a sucker for those types of “sale.”
Back to the Gravel Cake. I’ll save you the suspense. Gravel Cake is amazing. Especially if you like peanut butter. I personally like vanilla pudding in this recipe but if you chose to use chocolate pudding I’m sure it would be divine too. But that would be more like Mud and Gravel Cake, no?
- 3 small boxes of instant pudding (vanilla or French vanilla)
- 6 c. cold milk
- 1 small tub cool whip, plus more for garnish, if desired
- 1 plus packages of Nutter Butters, crushed
- 1 plus packages of Nutter Butters for garnish
- Make the pudding according to directions. Once the pudding has “set,” mix the cool whip into the pudding.
- In a trifle dish or giant bowl, layer pudding mixture with crushed Nutter Butters starting and ending with Nutter Butters. I placed whole Nutter Butters lining the top and bottom of the dish (as seen in the pictures). I only had two packages of Nutter Butters and definitely think I could have used three. I did not have enough to have any “gravel” on the top, so I subbed crushed Nutty Bars instead. Top with additional cool whip or whipped cream, if you have it.
- You can serve this in individual dishes or mason jars if you have a lot of time on your hands or want to control portion size.