After the success of my Avocado Asparagus Omelet Sandwich I was eager to try more asparagus with more bread and more avocado. So the obvious dish to make was avocado toast. With asparagus.
Despite the fact that I loaded the toast down with a bit too much asparagus and I intended to make soft boiled eggs instead of hard boiled eggs, the toast was still a success. I had to eat some asparagus spears off the top of the toast until there was a smaller more acceptable amount of asparagus that I could eat with each bite of toast and egg and tomato.
I have an extremely difficult time fitting vegetables into my day, especially at breakfast. Probably because I tend to eat more sweet-type breakfasts (think pancakes, waffles, etc.) versus eggs. And when I do eat eggs I load them down with things such as cheese and meat. Who has room for veggies when you’re eating meat and cheese?
This recipe was inspired by a recipe found at BHG.com for an Avocado-Egg Breakfast Sandwich. You can find a whole slew of recipes involving bread and avocado and/or asparagus at Better Homes and Gardens. That’s where I get a lot of my inspiration these days. If you want to make this dish vegan, skip the egg. The recipe below lists ingredients per slice of toast. If making more than one piece of toast, multiply the ingredients.
- 4 asparagus spears (snap the ends off the stalks), halved lengthwise
- Boiling water
- ½ avocado, mashed with a bit of salt (I do this inside the avocado skin)
- grape tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
- country-style white or whole grain bread (vegan, if necessary)
- one soft boiled or hard boiled egg (omit for vegan option)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place asparagus spears in a single layer in a shallow dish. Pour enough boiling water over asparagus to cover. Let stand for 5 to 6 minutes or until bright colored and crisp-tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile toast the bread. Spread mashed avocado on top the toasted bread. Top the avocado toast with, asparagus spears, tomato slices and egg. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.