I had purchased over two pounds of asparagus to eat on Father’s day and the week after. Going on two weeks later, I had barely touched the stuff and knew I needed to find something to use up the remaining asparagus.
Many, many years ago I made an amazing cream of asparagus soup. What really amazed me about it was that it had no dairy. I can’t remember the ingredients exactly but I do remember it had no dairy. It was not featured as a vegan ice cream at the time I made it because I wasn’t much into vegan foods at the time and probably would not have chosen to purposely make a vegan soup.
In this instance I was looking for a vegan soup. I’m currently off dairy and needed to find a recipe that still yielded a creamy soup without the dairy. I wasn’t super thrilled about having a soup made primarily with non-dairy milk either. I just didn’t want the soup tasting like almonds or coconut. That’s not too much to ask, right?
I found a simple enough looking recipe at Vegangela and decided to give it a whirl. It used soaked cashews, presumably to make it creamy. I’m not hip on vegan recipes so I couldn’t tell you what soaking and pureeing nuts does. Aside from the added step of soaking the cashews in warm water an hour before making the soup, the soup came together in a snap. I was pleasantly surprised by the taste. I don’t think I would have known the soup was vegan if I hadn’t known it was vegan. It was delicious! I gobbled up the entire pot in only three sittings. I would definitely make this recipe again. The only thing I would really change is to add some garlic. Because garlic belongs in everything savory, as far as I’m concerned.
- 24 oz. green asparagus, ends removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 T. coconut oil, grass fed butter or vegan margarine
- 4 c. vegetable broth, chicken broth, bone broth, etc.
- ½ c. raw cashews, soaked in warm water for 1 hour
- Cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces.
- In a large pot, heat coconut oil (or other fat) over medium-low heat, and cook the onion for a few minutes, until softened.
- Add asparagus pieces and salt and pepper to taste. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth and simmer, covered, until asparagus is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add cashews and soup ingredients to the container of high powered blender, such as Vitamix. You can also purée the soup using an immersion blender. Puree until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper or maybe some Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel Seasoning.