- 1 c. vegetable shortening or butter
- 1 c. dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 c. old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 c. shredded coconut
- 1 generous c. chocolate chips
- 4 c. crispy rice cereal
- 1 generous c. chopped walnuts
- Beat together the shortening and sugars, vanilla and salt until fluffy; add the eggs and beat until smooth.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add the flour mixture to the shortening mixture and beat until well blended. Stir in the oats, coconut, chips, cereal and walnuts, mixing just until blended.
- Drop the dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased or parchment-lined cookie sheets. Bake the cookies in a preheated 350°F oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they’re golden brown.
The cookies will get brown on the bottom but not on top. It’s very easy to over-bake these cookies; so be careful! I personally like my cookies slightly under-baked. If you do too, I would recommend rolling the dough into balls and baking for only 8 minutes. The bottoms will be light and the center will be soft, chewy and slightly gooey.
Click here to peruse other yummy cookie recipes.