This recipe reminds me a bit of lemon bars, without the big lemon punch. It was sent to me recently by my grandma and caught my eye because I had buttermilk in the fridge that I needed to use!
- 6 T. butter or margarine, room temperature
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 2/3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 T. butter or margarine, melted
- 2 T. light corn syrup
- 2 T. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp. freshly grated lemon peel, if desired
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl at medium speed until creamy. Add flour and salt; mix on low until blended. Spread evenly into the bottom of a greased 8-inch square baking pan.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes until crust is golden.
- Beat eggs and sugar in large bowl at medium speed. Beat in butter, corn syrup, flour, buttermilk, vanilla and lemon peel until mixture is smooth.
- Pour filling over baked crust. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until edges just begin to brown and filling is set.
- Cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut into bars.
These bars are easy to make but somewhat lackluster in flavor, even when adding the lemon peel.