From the title of this post you should realize that the recipe for this “ice cream” is frighteningly easy. All it is is frozen banana chunks, almond butter, salt, vanilla and cacao powder whirled in a food processor with some edible cookie dough thrown in. It is not like real ice cream. You see that the first ingredient is banana, right? So the “ice cream” tastes very strongly of banana. If you do not like banana, this recipe is not for you. The reason I feel like I have to warn you about this is so that you don’t exclaim, “Hmm – this tastes like banana” when you eat it.
I detest those recipes that claim to taste just like the real thing when they aren’t. Um. Cauliflower pizza crust. No. Tastes like cauliflower. Strongly like cauliflower. Thus I will never tell you this tastes exactly like real ice cream because it doesn’t. It tastes like banana-flavored fro-yo at best. Nonetheless, it’s still a nice creamy treat and it’s so easy to make it gets extra points.
You will notice there are no measurements in this recipe. If that freaks you out, this recipe is not for you. There are a lot of recipes you can fudge or tweak according to your preference and, in my opinion, this is one of them. If you made me guess, I would tell you I used either three or four bananas and maybe 1/3 to 1/2 cup almond butter. I literally did not measure anything. I just keep throwing stuff in the food processor until I got the desired taste and consistency.
- frozen banana chunks
- almond butter
- 1 to 2 T. cacao powder.
- 1 to 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch or two of salt
- Healthy Egg-Free Cookie Dough
- Place bananas, almond butter, vanilla, cacao powder and salt in a food processor. Process until completely smooth/no chunks of banana remain.
- Stir in chunks of healthy cookie dough and pour into a loaf pan. Cover with saran wrap and freeze for about an hour or so and then scoop into an ice cream bowl. Eat immediately.
- Freeze any remaining “ice cream” in a freezer safe container. In my opinion, it tastes best freshly made. If you’re eating leftovers you should allow the ice cream to soften quite a bit first.