I’ve been scouring the internet for a really good grain-free cookie dough recipe and I have to tell you that I’ve seen some weird and varying recipes. I decided to pass on the recipes that used banana (banana is so strong I figured it would taint the taste) or mega amounts of almond flour, butter or xylitol. Don’t get me wrong. The recipes all looked really delicious. I was just scared off by some of the ingredients.
And then I remembered that I’ve previously made some super healthy “cookie dough” bites that use almost no actual cookie dough ingredients but oddly tasted so delicious and cookie-dough like that I was totally hooked. You can locate the recipe in Julie Morris’s book “Superfood Snacks.” The recipe below is very close to Julie’s recipe; I just dropped a few of the superfood ingredients such as goji berries and hemp seeds.
- 2 c. dried mulberries
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted
- ⅔ c. cashew or almond butter
- ⅓ c. flavored vegan or raw protein powder (chocolate or vanilla or caramel etc.)
- ⅓ c. almond flour
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ c. semi-sweet mini chocolate chips (vegan/paleo friendly)
- In a food processor, grind the mulberries until you have a coarse mixture. Add the dates, nut butter, protein powder, almond flour, vanilla extract, and sea salt. Process until a dough forms. Adjust the texture if necessary by adding water to make it more moist or almond flour if it’s too wet.
- Add the chocolate chips and briefly pulse to combine. You can use this healthy dough in any recipe that calls for edible cookie dough. I rolled mine into the teeniest, tiniest balls possible to add to (paleo) ice cream. The dough tastes great as is.
You will notice from my pictures that my dough is a lot darker than “normal” cookie dough. I used almond butter but believe that if you used cashew butter the dough would turn out lighter. I also used the flavor vegan protein powder that I had on hand: Caramel Latte. I can’t tell you that I noticed any sort of a caramel flavor so I’m pretty sure it doesn’t really matter what flavor protein powder you use. You can probably even use unflavored and be fine.
I’m not going to claim that this dough tastes exactly like cookie dough. It doesn’t. But it’s so uniquely good and healthy it’s an excellent option for times when you want something that’s cookie dough-like.
Omg. Looks so amazing.
They are addictive!
LikeLiked by 1 person