Let’s talk about spice for a minute. I like spice. Sometimes I think I think I can tolerate spice a bit more than my body actually can but a bit of a kick is nice. I bought some chorizo this weekend thinking I could make some sort of egg dish for breakfast. So I set out in search of a good looking recipe and came across a roasted pepper and chorizo quiche that looked pretty darn amazing and I considered how I could make a similar paleo dish.
First things first, I needed a paleo crust. I found a really good looking pie dough recipe at Paleo Running Momma. I cannot stress enough just how wonderful this crust is. While it’s not flakey like a pie crust that has gluten in it, it’s perfectly butter and holds up really well. You can roll out the dough or pat the dough into the pie pan, which is what I did. So super easy to make! And I swear if you served it to someone without advertising that it’s paleo no one would know.
After I had the paleo pie crust recipe set I had to figure out how to make the dish dairy-free. I had recently made a bacon and quiche tart so I glanced back at the recipe so I could see what I’d done. Turns out I’d just mixed eggs together and poured them on top the rest of the tart ingredients. Presto! Done. My recipe was forming nicely in my mind.
So while I already had two bell peppers in my fridge, I decided to pick up a serrano pepper to add some healthy spice. However, I discovered later I already had two serrano peppers on hand. So I added all three peppers to the dish.
Between the peppers, the dried red pepper I mixed with the eggs and the chorizo, this dish has a good amount of spice. So, so, so so good. A flavor explosion in your mouth. The cooked onion and peppers meld together so well with chorizo and cilantro. A definite must eat. I could eat this every day!
- 9 oz chorizo
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, de-seeded, roughly chopped
- 1 orange pepper, de-seeded, roughly chopped
- 3 Serrano peppers, roughly chopped
- 1 T. Avocado oil
- 8 large eggs (organic, cage-free, etc.)
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. red pepper
- Cilantro leaves, fresh, washed and patted dry
- 1 pre-baked crust (paleo), such as the recipe found at Paleo Running Momma
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Toss onion and peppers with avocado and spread out over a baking sheet. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes or until edges start to blacken. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Lower oven heat to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, cook the chorizo over medium-low heat until browned, (or desired doneness) 8 to 12 minutes. Remove the chorizo and let cool.
- Pile the veggies into the prepared pie crust. Top with meat. Cover with desired amount of whole leaves of fresh cilantro.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt and peppers and pour over the veggies. Bake the tart for 35 to 45 minutes, until browned around the edges and cooked through. Let cool for 20 minutes, then serve.