My family and friends are very aware of my love of food. Oftentimes they will share with me foods they’ve eaten or foods they think I might like. Anything that would be appropriate for me to recreate at home and subsequently share via my blog.
The other day one of my friends sent me a picture of toast she made at home. It was similar to a bagel she’d had on vacation that was slathered with pesto and cream cheese and topped with avocado and tomato. Her version used toast instead of a bagel and she added bacon and egg. According to my friend, there were too many flavors going on on top of that toast. I thought it looked amazing. We both agreed that I should try to create my own version at home.
In my version I dumped the cream cheese from the equation. I’ve had cream cheese on avocado toast at restaurants. It’s never been my favorite combo. Who would have thought of putting pesto on avocado toast? Not me, for one. I was a bit reluctant to do it but also intrigued by the idea at the same time. And I had to have eggs and bacon with my toast because – well why not? Bacon makes everything better and eggs go so well with bacon. I would have added grape tomatoes if I had them, but I didn’t. Instead I sprinkled arugula on top because I have a ton of it. Also, I’ve eaten avocado toast at restaurants that was topped with arugula and it was delicious.
So here it is. My version of pesto avocado cream cheese toast (or bagel).
- slices of bread (whole wheat, sourdough, etc.)
- Prepared pesto
- sliced or smashed avocado
- prepared bacon
- grape tomatoes, halved (optional)
- Heat a nonstick frying pan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, prepare your avocado either by slicing it or smashing it. I like to season it with a bit of kosher salt either way I eat it.
- Once the frying pan is heated, spray with cooking spray or put a little butter in the bottom of the pan. Crack the eggs and, if using cold pre-prepared bacon, place bacon in the pan. Cover the pan and cook until the eggs are done to your preference.
- Meanwhile, place the bread slices in the toaster and toast the bread to your desired level of doneness.
- Once the bread is done toasting, spread pesto on each slice. Top with avocado slices or smashed avocado. Add the eggs and bacon and top it all off with arugula and tomato slices (if using).
In my opinion, avocado and pesto is a fabulous combination. Why didn’t I think of this myself? I would make this again in a heart beat and serve it to anyone I wanted to impress for a quick, hearty breakfast.