I had an awful day yesterday. I have two dogs one of which isn’t in the best of health and the other of which usually is. My healthy one wasn’t eating. He hadn’t eaten much in about 60 hours by the time I got to my vet appointment. Prior to heading over to my vet I threw all of the ingredients for this recipe into my crockpot and let it cook on low. The vet appointment did not go as I expected in both a good way and a bad way. I drove home with my little guy in my lap holding onto him and sobbing the entire way. Boy was I happy when I came home and didn’t have to put any thought or effort into dinner. Not only was there no thought and no effort but it was ready for me. And, eventually, when I could muster up the strength to eat, I had a lovely spicy chicken-chili like dinner.
This dish is intended to be a chowder but it’s actually very versatile. I think it works as good if not better as a hot chicken black bean sweet potato dip. You can scoop up the contents from your bowl (or straight from the bowl of the crockpot) using your favorite tortilla chips. And my favorite way to eat it is scooped onto tortilla chips, topped with cheese and then baked in a sheet pan for a simple chicken sweet potato black bean sheet pan nacho snack.
My recipe below is modified from one found at Kim’s Cravings.
- 4 c. cooked chicken shredded or diced
- 2 lbs sweet potato, cooked, peeled and mashed with a fork
- 4 to 6 pieces bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 15 oz can corn
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 7 oz can salsa verde
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1 tsp. smoked or regular paprika
- salt, to taste
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker and cook for 1 to 2 hours on high, or 3 to 4 hours on low, (just enough to warm ingredients through and allow flavors to meld together).
- Eat in a bowl as a stew topped with cheese, sour cream, guacamole, diced red onions etc or scoop out of the pot with tortilla chips and eat as a dip.