- 1 lb pork sausage, browned
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 1/2 c. chopped celery
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1 package Pepperidge Farm Sage and Onion Dressing Mix (8 to 12 cups)
- 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning (optional)
- 1/2 c. potato flakes
- 2 14-oz cans chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- 1 c. water
- Put onion, celery and butter in kettle. Add water (enough to barely cover the ingredients but not over them). Cook about 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
- Toss 1 large package dressing mix with onion/celery mixture. Add potato flakes and poultry seasoning if using. Mix everything together.
- When ready to cook add chicken broth and water. Mix.
- Bake on high in a crockpot for 1 hour and then turn to low for 45 minutes. Do not lift the lid while cooking.
A note from my mom: “I added some juice or gravy from the turkey to make it more moist after it was done.”
Even as leftovers this dish was amazing. I wonder how good it is when it first comes out of the crockpot.