Taking a cue from last week’s pizza, we created a similar version for dinner tonight at Dad’s request. Or maybe it was at my suggestion. More so insistence…
Sis (one of those overpaid, underworked lazy teachers who rides around in her gas-guzzling showboating Hyundai) had the day off today and prepped the ingredients before I even got home from work. It was immensely helpful, as it still took about an hour to put the thing together and get into the oven.
Finally, finally, finally I remember to precook the crust. I’ve been wanting to do this for a while now because the crust always seems to turn out a bit soggy. I pre-baked the crust for 10 minutes (350 degrees) and the crust was substantially more crispy. However, I do believe I could have precooked it for a bit longer.
- 1/3 recipe for light whole wheat bread (or any other pizza crust recipe — store-bought is fine, too)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- one recipe of Alfredo Sauce (below)
- 10 to 12 oz cooked chicken (on the bone), removed from the bone and shredded
- 7 oz fontina cheese, shredded
- 5 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced (if you’re using the small balls of mozzarella you won’t need to slice them)
- 6 oz mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 3 oz spinach, washed and de-stemmed
- 3 Roma tomatoes, washed and sliced
- 2 oz fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Remove the pizza dough from the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and sprinkle a 16-inch round pizza pan with cornmeal. Prepare the Alfredo Sauce. (See below recipe.)
- Using an ample amount of flour, begin to stretch the dough out into as large of a circle as possible. Place on the pizza sheet and work the dough at the edges using the heel of your hand to press and stretch toward the edge of the sheet. This will take a few minutes.
- Once the crust is stretched all the way to the edge of the pan, sprinkle with olive oil and rub the olive oil over the surface of the crust. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Pre-bake in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, remove and let stand to cool for a few minutes. Heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Meanwhile spread the sauce evenly over the pizza crust. Layer with spinach, shredded cheeses, chicken, mushrooms, tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese begins to brown on top. If the cheese doesn’t brown turn on the broiler and let broil for 4 to 5 minutes. Let stand five minutes before cutting.
alfredo sauce ingredients.
- ¼ c. butter
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c. fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 3/4 c. heavy cream or half and half
- salt and pepper to taste
alfredo sauce directions.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, and then add garlic.
- Sauté five minutes, then stir in all other ingredients.
- Heat through, stirring constantly, until all ingredients have combined into a smooth sauce.
- Remove from heat. (Tops one to two pizzas, depending on size.)
Like this recipe? Take a peek at some of my other pizza recipes:
- Napoletana Arugula Pizza
- Roasted Garlic Veggie Focaccia Pizza
- Three Cheese Pepperoni Pizza on Homemade Pizza Crust