Every time I make this pie I fall in love all over again. Make with or without the coconut, depending on your like for coconut. Simple, sugary and delicious. I’ve made this pie with both white sugar and brown and though I normally prefer brown sugar in any recipe, I prefer white in this one.
- 1 Perfect Homemade Pie Crust
- 1 1/4 c. sugar (white or dark brown)
- 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. shredded coconut
- 1 1/4 c. milk
- 3/4 c. heavy whipping cream
- 2 T. unsalted butter, cut into 10 or 12 pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Prepare the pie crust.
- In a large bowl combine the sugar, flour, nutmeg and salt. Stir and toss to combine. Pour the mixture through a strainer directly into the pie shell. Sprinkle with coconut and set aside.
- In a small saucepan warm the milk and cream together over moderate heat until quite hot to the touch. Do not boil. Pour evenly over the sugar mixture in the pie shell. Scatter the butter over the cream.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until the filling is set around the edges and has golden spots – it will not evenly brown. The center will firm when it cools and may appear runny when you first remove from the oven.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.