I’ve found one of the best ways to use leftover ingredients after a holiday is to make a pot pie, a stew, or a sandwich.
I was a little nervous over the idea of a sandwich made with mashed potatoes, but my Christmas mashed potatoes were so freakishly good, I think you could add them to anything and it would make the dish better.
- your favorite artisan bread, sliced (I bought Como Loaf from Grand Central Bakery)
- mayonnaise or butter
- sliced cheese (I used Beecher’s Flagship cheese)
- leftover Prime Rib Roast, sliced very thin
- leftover Crusted Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes, or any leftover mashed potato
- Slice bread approximately ¼ to ½-inch thick. Butter one side of each slice of bread. On the other side spread with mayo.
- On one slice of bread (mayo side) layer with cheese and top with thinly sliced Prime Rib Roast. On the other slice of bread layer with cheese and mashed potato. Press both sides of the sandwich together.
- Heat a Panini press or George Foreman grill according to manufacturer’s directions. Grill until bread has browned and cheese is melted.
- Cut in half and eat immediately.