I haven’t had a recipe flop in a while so it was bound to happen today, I guess. But I honestly hate when a pie flops. Of all things to flop, why does it have to be a pie?! I take it personally – perhaps because it doesn’t happen often. Or perhaps because of my fascination and awe of pies – they’re basically the perfect dessert. The last time this happened was with a blueberry pie that I ended up turning into a crumble. But there’s not much you can do with a cream pie when it flops.
My recipe was adapted from danmadeit.com. I liked Dan’s recipe because it’s in line with what I think of as a traditional cream pie: uses milk, cornstarch and egg yolks. In re-reading his recipe, I’m pretty sure I know what I did wrong – I omitted the butter. This morning I found a congealed dish of melted butter in my microwave and couldn’t quite figure out why. (I normally don’t melt butter for cream pie recipes, so perhaps doing so caused me to become discombobulated.) I would definitely try this recipe again – this time using butter. The flavor was spot on and perfect. If you want to try the recipe, maybe follow Dan’s.
- 1 c. sugar
- 3 T. cornstarch
- 1/4 c. butter
- 2 c. milk
- 1/2 c. fresh lemon juice (approximately 4 lemons)
- grated lemon rind (from the 4 lemons)
- 4 egg yolks slightly beaten
- 1 c. sour cream
- Combine the milk, cornstarch, lemon juice and rind and sugar in a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan and whisk together to dissolve cornstarch. Cook over moderate heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens and boils, then reduce the heat and cook, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens and boils, then reduce the heat and cook, whisking constantly for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the egg yolks, then return to the heat and cook about 2 minutes longer, whisking all the while. Remove from heat and add butter. Stir until combined.
- Set aside to cool completely. Once cool, stir in sour cream. Pour into the pie crust and garnish with whipped cream and additional lemon rind.
I don’t feel it would be fair to rate this recipe given I screwed it up, know it and it flopped!