I found raspberries for $1.50 (for 6 ounces) at the store this weekend and bought four containers thinking I would make a raspberry pie. Then I realized a few things. One, I have way too much to do to make a pie. Two, I have no tapioca. Three, nearly everyone I work with is on a diet. I needed to find “plan B” to use up all those raspberries. The easiest thing, I decided, was to incorporate it into a warm bowl of oats in the morning. Last week I ate Chunky Monkey Warm Oats Bowls for breakfast every morning. A raspberry-centric bowl of warm oats seemed like the best and easiest way to fit all those raspberries in.
- 1/3 c. rolled oats
- pinch of salt
- 1 T. brown sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 c. half-and-half, milk or non-dairy milk of your choice
- 3 to 4 ounces of fresh raspberries (thawed frozen raspberries would probably be fine too)
- 1/2 T. chia seeds
- 1/2 T. hemp hearts
- 1/2 T. ground flaxseed
- additional raspberries and milk for garnish
- Place the oats and salt in a microwavable dish. Add the milk and place in the fridge. If you can, soak your oats in the milk for a few hours (or overnight).
- Once ready to eat, heat in the microwave for 60 to 90 seconds. Add brown sugar, raspberries and seeds and mix to incorporate. Mash the raspberries with you spoon if you’d like.
- Top with additional raspberries and milk, if desired.
I’ve been eating a lot of oats lately so I consider myself a bit of warm oats expert. It’s my opinion that if you soak the oats in your liquid overnight (even a couple of hours will do) that the oats will be less likely to turn into a big bowl of mush when you microwave it. There’s something more aesthetically pleasing to me about eating oats that look like oats instead of oats that look like mush. So obviously it’s not necessary to do this step, but if you’re particular about what your food looks like (like I am), I promise you this is the way to go.
Using half-and-half, this warm bowl of oats comes in at 375 calories, 11.2 g protein, 9.1 g fiber and 14.6 g sugar. This flavor is one of my favorite yet!